Summer is fading fast so it’s time to seek all the fun you can before it’s gone for good. For many people that means a quick getaway to celebrate Labor Day. Well if your last minute travel plans include your furry friends, listen up…
American’s LOVE their pets (So does Advocate Brokerage!). 60% of US households have furry friends residing within their walls and of those pet lovers, as many as 80% travel with them. With them in mind, we’ve compiled a list of tips to help keep you and your beloved animal safe.
Valuable Tips for Traveling with Pets
- Be sure any pet traveling with you has proper identification. A collar with a tag or microchipping can be invaluable should you and your pet become separated.
- Bring along your pet’s vaccination documents. Especially if you are visiting a different state as the requirements could vary slightly. It might be a good idea to store them in a plastic bag.
- Be sure to pack a pet emergency kit that includes first aid supplies, a self-clinging bandage (that won’t stick to fur), a leash, nail clippers, towels, treats, bottled water & a bowl.
- If you are traveling by car, take your pet out on a few short outings before you hit the road so they can get acclimated to the vehicle.
- For their safety (and yours), don’t let pets ride in the front seat and consider restraining them with either a harness or crate.
- No matter how much they love it, don’t let them ride with their head out of the window
- Research where to stay. More and more hotel chains offer pet-friendly accommodations, Marriott & Hilton both offer pet-friendly options as do several Airbnb’s.
- Some automobile insurance policies offer coverage for pets that are injured or killed in a car crash. Chubb, for example, allows up to $2000 covering veterinary and boarding costs in the event of an accident.