Enjoy Summer Safely With These Eleven Pool Safety Tips
By: Advocate Brokerage
Summer is here along with all of the fun activities associated with warmer weather. Swimming is an excellent way to cool off from the summer heat and is a great way to exercise.
Though a popular summer spot to rest and recreate, swimming pools can be dangerous, causing about 43,000 personal injuries and more than 600 drowning deaths a year.
The Advocate Brokerage family is gearing up for summer and we would like to share with you eleven pool safety tips from our partners at Travelers Insurance to help keep you and your family safe this summer.
- Never leave small children near a pool unsupervised, even for a few seconds – not even at a shallow children’s pool.
- Put fencing around the pool area to keep people from using the pool without your knowledge. This is required by law in most states and cities for private swimming pools.
- Keep children away from pool filters, as the suction force may injure them or prevent them from surfacing. Be sure to have a lifeguard or capable adult supervising the pool when children are swimming.
- Be sure all pool users know how to swim. Learners should be accompanied by a good swimmer and wear a flotation device.
- Don’t swim alone or allow others to swim alone.
- Check the pool area regularly for glass bottles, toys or other potential accident hazards.
- Keep CD players, radios and other electrical devices away from pools or nearby wet surfaces.
- Don’t allow anyone who has been drinking alcohol to use the pool.
- Stay out of the pool during rain or lightning storms.
- Never dive into an above-ground pool and check the water depth before plunging into an in-ground pool. Keep clear of the area near a diving board.
- Don’t swim if you’re tired or have just finished eating.
These safety tips will help keep you, your family and friends safe this summer while enjoying aquatic fun. If you have a pool at your home, contact us about personal liability insurance to protect you in case of an accident. Advocate Brokerage can provide you with coverage that fits your unique insurance needs, as well as your budget.
Post written by DGI