Don’t Be “Tricked” This Halloween: Tips for Keeping Your Car Safe
By: Advocate Brokerage
Here at Advocate, we’ve been looking forward to the Halloween season for a long time—anything involving candy is A-OK with us! But we’re still mindful that Halloween can draw out some very real spooks – and believe it or not, lots of auto thieves.
We’d like to share with you some tips to help protect you and yours from “evil spirits” and auto theft as you go about your tricks or treats.
- Thieves will often seek out the easiest (and quietest) targets: make sure that your car has anti-theft devices to ward off would-be criminals
- Be afraid of the dark. Parking in well lit, busy areas discourages thieves from trying anything untoward
- Treat your keys like candy: even if you’re idling while the kids trick-or-treat, always lock car doors and windows, and never leave keys in the vehicle
- Never program your home address as “home” in your GPS. It’s an surefire way for a thief to find it and play all sorts of frightening tricks
- Protect your “treats.” Leaving your valuables out in the open can entice thieves to take your car and what’s in it, so make sure to hide them as well as you can
We hope you follow these tips to protect your family during this spooky season—and don’t forget to save us some candy!