Fall is in the air, is your home ready? Part 1 Outside
By: Advocate Brokerage
Much of the country has been enjoying beautiful fall like temperatures even before the official first day of autumn which was September 22nd. Fall is one of our favorite seasons, with so many things to enjoy such as the leaves changing colors, pumpkins (and pumpkin spice) and the ushering in of the holiday season.
The beautiful weather makes it the perfect time to get outdoors and get your home ready for the winter season. Here are our favorite outdoor tips to get your home ready for fall:
- Clean your gutters and be sure all down spouts are clear. You want all water to be flowing free and AWAY from your home.
- Take a look at all walkways around your home. Repair any cracks, replace loose stones and consider making upgrades to your lighting to prevent the risk of slips, trips or falls.
- It is also a good idea to take a look at any stairways leading into or out of your home. Make any necessary repairs to steps or railings. You want them to be safe for those visiting your home, especially when the first frost of the year comes our way.
- Take a look at the trees around your home and either trim or bring in a professional to trim any branches that look dead, weak or damaged. Heavy snow and strong winds can cause weak branches to break causing major damage to your home and property.
- As soon as you hear about the first frost of the year, turn off outdoor sprinkler systems and drain outdoor faucets, then shut off and cover outdoor faucets to protect the pipes from freezing.
- Inspect your windows and doors. Replace any damaged weather stripping and do any necessary re-caulking.
Educating every client we serve is a high priority for us. Providing our clients with valuable information that can prevent a claim is important. If you have any questions, please give us a call. We are always happy to help our clients with questions regarding their home, auto or commercial insurance.