It’s Almost Spring! How to protect your home from future insurance claims
By: Denise Koslowsky
Spring is almost here bringing with it warmer weather and blooming flowers. While we are all excited about the beauty that Spring is going to bring, we want to help you prevent any homeowners insurance claims that may be in your future and the best way to do that is to add a few items to your spring cleaning check list!
Protecting Your Home From Future Claims Check List:
- Replace the air filters in your HVAC system. This will not only keep the air circulating in your home cleaner, it will prolong the life of your HVAC system.
- Test your Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors and, if battery operated, replace the batteries. Smoke & Carbon Monoxide detectors that are in good working order will help to keep your family safe from harm.
- Clean your drier of lint, not just the filter but also the vent hose. Dryer lint is one of the leading causes of house fires, so making sure your drier is free of as much lint as possible is an important part of keeping your home safe and claim free.
- Check the hoses on your washing machine for any signs of wear and if you still have rubber hoses, it may be time to upgrade to braided steel hoses. Water damage claims due to washing machine malfunction are one of the most common claims we see.
- Double check your kitchen & bath caulking for cracks. Water spreads quickly causing thousands of dollars in damage in its wake. Doing all you can to keep water contained in the spaces it is intended to stay is smart.
- Examine your window and door seams for cracking in the caulking. This is another task designed to keep water in its place. If you find old or dried out caulking, you may want to have it replaced.
- Check the outside of your home for tripping hazards. Check for uneven stones in walkways, loose banisters and broken or damaged stairs. You’ll protect yourself from future liability claims by having them repaired.
- Survey your roof for damage. If you can safely do so, check your roof for loose or damaged shingles and call in a professional to make any repairs.
- Clean your gutters & downspouts. Remove any debris so that all water can be properly diverted away from your home.
- Remove and clear away any damaged tree branches that are close to your home, fence or other structures. Taking care of this prior to the start of the storm season can prevent damage to your home and the need to file a claim.
Advocate Brokerage is here to support you when trouble arises and you need to place a claim. Educating each client we serve is an important part of what we do each day so make us part of your team! If you are debating whether or not placing a claim is necessary, please reach out to us at 914-723-7100. Use our knowledge! We would be happy to talk you through the pros and cons.