Make Sure Your Halloween Is Happy & Safe!
By: Advocate Brokerage
Each year, Halloween brings with it numerous claims. In fact, it is often among the worst days of the year for home and auto claims due to theft and vandalism (an average of 17% more claims are reported on Halloween).
Halloween is coming up this weekend and your friends at Advocate Brokerage want to be sure your Spooky celebrations are Happy and Safe.
Advocate Tips for a Safe and Healthy Halloween Include:
- Drive very slowly and cautiously as excited kids can easily run in front of your car
- Make lighting a priority.
- Walkways and stairs should be well lit reduce the risk of trips, slips, and falls.
- Leave your lights on and/or have motion sensitive lights installed. A well-lit home tends to deter would-be vandals.
- Clear any potential hazards from your front yard, walkway, or porch. Make sure there are no uneven areas to help prevent the risk of someone tripping as they approach your door.
- Take a look at your railings and banisters for any wear and make any necessary repairs.
- Keep your car parked in the garage for the evening to prevent any damage from vandals.
- Avoid the use of candles in decorations. Instead utilize LED lights.
- If you are adding lighting to your outdoor Halloween decorations, be careful not to overload circuits and make sure you secure power cords to prevent tripping hazards.
- If a nervous dog bites a visitor, it is a liability. Make sure your pets feel safe and are secured away from visitors, offer them plenty of water and treats and turn on the radio or tv to try to muffle the sound of the doorbell.
- If damage of your home or property is on a smaller scale, it may be better to pay out of pocket. Multiple small claims on your policy can add up to higher premiums down the road.
Additionally, the following Halloween COVID safety tips may be helpful:
If you or anyone in your family are not feeling 100%, consider skipping the festivities. You may want to consider putting a sign on your yard to let everyone know that due to Covid-19 you will not be participating!
- Wash your hands with soap and water often!
- Wear a mask, have fun with it and incorporate them into your child’s costume!
- Don’t take candy offered by hand and don’t share candy from a friend’s bag.
- Don’t go inside anyone’s home, even if they are neighbors that you know well.
- Inspect all candy and don’t indulge in anything that is unwrapped.
- Maintain social distancing and if you arrive at a home that has a lot of children gathered outside, wait until after the crowd clears out before approaching.
As your insurance Advocate, we want to keep you informed of any potential risks you may face and be a resource for any questions you may have. If you are wondering about your coverage or suffer some damage and aren’t sure whether to place a claim, please give us a call. We would be happy to speak with you!