This Labor Day Be Sure to Grill Safely
By: Advocate Brokerage
Among the most popular holidays to host a back yard barbecue and cook up hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill is Labor Day. According to statista.com, approximately 58% of Americans reported that they would be firing up their backyard grill for this year’s holiday. We want to wish all our friends a very happy Labor Day and hope you enjoy some backyard fun but we want to be sure you are doing so safely!
Gas Grill fires cause an average of $37 million in damage annually.
Grill safely by practicing the following barbecue habits:
- Make sure your grill is on a level surface
- Position your grill a safe distance from your home, garage, outdoor building or any low hanging landscaping
- Before you light it up, give the hoses a quick check for any cracks or holes
- Keep children and pet play areas safely away from the grill
- If it rains, resist the urge to move the grill to an indoor area
- Never move a lit grill
- Always grill with a working fire extinguisher nearby
- Wait until the grill has fully cooled down before covering or storing the grill
If a fire occurs:
- In the event that a fire does occur, grab your fire extinguisher. If that does not immediately take care of the issue, call 911. Fire spreads quickly and you’ll want to err on the side of safety.
- Be sure to address any injuries right away. Run cool water over any minor burns, and for any major burns, be sure to call 911 and seek medical attention.
- After the fire is out and any injuries have been treated, you can begin to assess possible property damage. Remember that if the damage is minor and you want to know if it is a good idea to file a claim, give us a call.
We are happy to serve our clients and provide information about best practices when it comes to protecting your home! Making sure your world is protected is of the utmost importance to the entire team at Advocate Brokerage. If you have questions, feel free to get in touch with us at 914-723-7100.