Keep Your Jewelry Safe When You Are Traveling
By: Denise Koslowsky
Everyone wants to look their best while enjoying their vacation, which for most people means taking along a few pieces of jewelry on your trip. Unfortunately, traveling with jewelry increases your risk of losing a piece you love!
1 in 5 people experiences loss or theft of jewelry while on vacation!
To keep this from happening to you we’ve got some great ideas to help you keep your favorite earrings and fabulous necklaces safe. Check out our tips below:
Tips for Packing Jewelry:
- When packing earrings, attach them to a large button. Not only will it keep the pair together, but it will also prevent one of the pair from becoming lost in your luggage.
- Thread necklaces through a straw. The straw will be easier to find in your carryon back and as a bonus, it will prevent the chains from becoming entangled.
- Before you zip up your travel jewelry case snap a photo. That way in the unfortunate instance where a piece of jewelry is lost or stolen, you will be a step closer to proving you own the piece and brought it with you on your trip.
Tips for Traveling with Jewelry:
- Carry any jewelry you are bringing with you onboard the plane rather than checking it in with your regular luggage.
- When you are out and about exploring the city, be sure to make use of the room safe and lock up your jewelry.
- If the area you are exploring has a reputation for being dangerous, do your best to conceal your bling. Turn your rings around to face your palms and place your necklaces inside your shirt.
- Don’t wear your jewelry when you are enjoying time at the pool or ocean. Cold water can cause your fingers to shrink which makes it easier for your engagement ring to slip off and be lost.
- Use caution when posting a selfie with a caption like “All set to enjoy a night on the town in Capri.” You don’t want to entice thieves and make it easier for them to find you.
Final Piece Of Advice From Advocate
Contrary to popular belief, the items that are out and about with you are the items that are most likely to get lost or stolen. We recommend that you schedule all of the valuable jewelry that travels with you, such as expensive watches, wedding bands and engagement rings, and diamond stud earrings.
The jewelry that is stored at home while you are away should be stored in a locked safe that is bolted to the ground or a bank vault.
If you have valuable pieces of jewelry or special pieces with sentimental value, you may want to consider the purchase of Valuable Items coverage. Your standard homeowner’s policy only offers very limited coverage for jewelry and any claims are subject to your deductible. If you are unsure if your current coverage is sufficient, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at 914-723-7100. We would be happy to help. Safe Travels!