This Labor Day Be Sure to Grill Safely
By: Advocate Brokerage
What are your plans for Labor Day? 58% of Americans are likely to be celebrating the big holiday weekend grilling in their backyard (as per statista.com). Many people enjoy spending time entertaining in their outdoor living spaces with family and friends. Unfortunately, the annual backyard barbeque doesn’t go as planned. Grill fires cause an average of 37 million dollars in damage each year!
Your friends at Advocate Brokerage want you to enjoy a HAPPY and SAFE holiday so we thought we would review some important information on backyard grill safety!
Grill fires cause an average of $37 million in damage annually.
Grill safe habits from the personal insurance specialists at Advocate:
- Position your grill a safe distance from your home and any outdoor building such as a detached garage or shed.
- Keep your grill station safely away from any low-hanging landscaping or wooden fencing.
- Make sure your grill is placed on a level surface.
- Do a quick inspection of the grill’s hoses checking for any cracks or holes. If you see anything questionable, it is a good idea to go ahead and have them replaced.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill. Encourage them to play in another section of the yard.
- Never move a lit grill.
- NEVER move the grill to an indoor area, even in the event of rain.
- Always grill with a working fire extinguisher on hand.
- Wait until the grill has fully cooled down before covering or storing it.
In the event of a fire:
- Utilize your fire extinguisher. If that does not immediately take care of the issue, call 911. Fire spreads quickly and it is better to call 911 and be safe!
- If you get burned and the burn is minor, run cool water over them, and if the burn is bad, be sure to seek medical attention by calling 911.
- Once the fire is out, injuries have been treated, and you can safely do so, assess possible property damage. If you are considering filing a claim, you may want to give us a call to discuss whether filing a claim is worth it in the long run.
We are happy to answer any questions you may have! Making sure your world is protected is of the utmost importance to the entire team at Advocate Brokerage. Feel free to get in touch with us at 914-723-7100 at any time!