Investing Time Today Could Prevent Claims Tomorrow! Check Out Our Spring Maintenance Check List
By: Advocate Brokerage
We love working with our clients to be sure they have the best possible insurance coverage in place so that if the unexpected occurs, your home is covered. We also love to provide our friends with information that helps them do what they can to prevent common homeowners’ insurance claims. Investing a little time today could go a long way to preventing a claim tomorrow.
Water Is Public Enemy #1!
Water Damage is the most common homeowner’s insurance claim.
Take a few moments to check these items off your home maintenance to-do list to help you prevent water damage from happening to you!
- Check the hoses on your washing machine for any signs of wear. If you still have rubber hoses, it is a good idea to upgrade to braided steel hoses. Water damage claims due to washing machine malfunction are one of the most common claims we see.
- Inspect the drip pan under your washing machine. If it looks aged or is cracked, it may be a good time to have it replaced. Find out more here.
- Consider installing a whole house water flow alarm to detect water leaks. There are many different options available to accomplish this: there are sensor-based alarms that will automatically shut off your water should a leak be detected, as well as flow-based alarms that will trigger alarms to let you know a leak has been detected. You can find out more information here.
- Examine your window and doors to look for cracks in the caulking. If you find dried-out caulking, you may want to have it replaced. The goal is to keep the water outside your home!
- Double check your kitchen & bath caulking for cracks.
- If you can safely do so, check your roof for loose or damaged shingles and call in a professional to make any repairs.
- Clean your gutters & downspouts. Remove any debris so that all water can be properly diverted away from your home.
- Consider installing a generator. To weather a storm with minimal damage to your home means maintaining power for as long as possible. We recommend the installation of a permanent generator. Not only could it help you prevent future claims, but most carriers offer a discount on your homeowners’ policy. If you would like to see a list of reasons to have a generator installed, head here.
Fire Damage Accounts For 25% Of All Insurance Claims!
There are some simple home maintenance items that can prevent a fire at home. Make sure you check these items off your Spring To Do list!
- Dryer lint is one of the leading causes of house fires so you will want to make sure your dryer is lint free. Do a thorough cleaning and be sure to pay attention to the filter AND the vent hose.
- Extension cords are for temporary use only, can overheat and cause fires due to overloading. Don’t run extension cords under rugs or furniture, never tape extension cords to the floor or attach them to surfaces with staples or nails, stop using extension cords that feel hot to touch, or that are damaged. Also, should a fire break out, please remember to CLOSE & CONTAIN!
- If you don’t have a central station burglar and fire alarm, we encourage you to consider having one installed. Should a home fire occur, having your home connected to a central station will save value seconds and prevent the outbreak of fire from turning into a total home loss. Find out more here.
Liability Claims may not be frequent, but they can be costly.
Be sure to check off all the items you can so that you don’t find yourself facing a lawsuit!
- Take a stroll outside of your home and be on the lookout for tripping hazards. Check for uneven walkways, loose banisters or stairs that have damage.
Hopefully taking these simple steps will help to reduce the need to file a claim, however, should tragedy strike, Advocate Brokerage will be here to help support you after all, what we do is about more than insurance. It’s being here for our clients during some of the worst moments in their lives and helping to ensure that the claims process is a smooth as it can possibly be!